For the wildlife photography enthusiast, Kabini needs no introduction. This region is part of the Nagarhole National Park and encompassed by the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve – one of the largest contiguous forest habitats. Well known for its charismatic megafauna, including Tigers, Leopards, Elephants and Gaurs, these dense forests hold a veritable diversity of animal and plant life.
Join us on this roller-coaster Wildlife Photography Tour of Kabini – for a weekend of exploration, experience, sharing and learning. Photograph the rich diversity of wildlife by vehicle, boat and on foot. Observe natural history and learn how to record and interpret it. Make new friends who share your passion.
Jump to ◆ Tour Highlights ◆ Is this tour for you? ◆ Tour Price ◆ Itinerary ◆ Expert ◆ Sign Up
February 09-11, 2018
Tour Price – ₹28,950/-
Max group size: 11 only
On the banks of the River Kabini, the world-renowned Kabini River Lodge has been a haunt for wildlifers and wildlife photographers for many decades. It has become so famous that the safari region is now affectionately referred to as “Kabini”. In fact, it is part of the Nagarhole National Park, one of India’s finest tiger reserves. In addition to the National Animal of India, the forest is well-known for its elephant herds, stealthy leopards, mighty gaurs and its stunning birdlife. This photography tour aims to rediscover the joys of exploring the forest and learn about the wildlife and how to photograph it with a different perspective.
A wildlife photographer is a story-teller who interprets natural history through her/his photographs. To tell a strong story through a photograph, the photographer needs to have a good understanding of nature, in addition to photography techniques.With a wide range of learning and experience activities, this is one tour that will give you a 360-degree view of wildlife photography, and provides a balanced approach between natural history and wildlife photography.
- Learn about the natural history of the deciduous forests and wildlife photography techniques from our Darter Photography Expert through classroom sessions and on-the-field guidance.
- Explore the different facets of the jungle through Land and Boat safaris.
- Explore the forest on land in an open safari vehicle. Get an opportunity to see the 2 big cats (Bengal Tigers and Leopards) along with herds of Elephants, Gaurs, Chital and Sambar, not to mention the antics of Gray Langurs and the shy Barking Deer. You may also come across forest birds like the Malabar Trogon, Spot-bellied Eagle Owl, Racket-tailed Drongo, Crested Serpent Eagle, Crested Hawk Eagle and many more.
- Cruise down the Kabini Reservoir in a boat to view the beauty of the forest as it meets the river. Huge herds of Elephants have been seen here. You may also get an opportunity to see the playful Smooth-coated Otters, basking Marsh Crocodiles and birds like the Peregrine Falcon, Osprey, Grey-headed Fish Eagle and flocks of Egrets, Herons and Storks.
- Experience the beautiful sunset by the river, with the cool air, the glittering water and the herds of Chital and Elephants grazing by. You might get some opportunities to photograph silhouettes and animals/birds against the setting sun.
- Walk around the Kabini River Lodge with our Darter Photography Expert on a guided Nature Trail. In the past, we have come across Oriental Honey Buzzards, Forest Wagtails and a host of other birds within the campus. Smaller animals like Butterflies and Spiders (including the breathtaking Indian Ornamental Tarantula) would also keep us engrossed during this nature trail.
- Review your photographs everyday with the Darter Photography Expert. In our highly-appreciated review sessions, we approach the photograph from the photographer’s story and perspective. We guide the photographer in working on both the strengths and improvement areas to convey a better story through the photographs.
- Discuss your observations and learning with the group in our unique debriefing sessions. Everyone has a unique perspective in observing natural phenomena and photographing them. These discussions have always helped our participants learn a lot from each other, in addition to fostering lasting friendships.
- Stay at the Kabini River Lodge (run by Jungle Lodges & Resorts), an internationally acclaimed resort and erstwhile hunting lodge of the Maharaja of Mysore. Located on the fringes of the forest on the banks of the River Kabini, the resort offers an unmatched experience in the wild.
Is this Tour for you?
This tour is designed for photographers of all levels of expertise – amateur and expert – who would like to photograph the beautiful forests and the rich biodiversity of Nagarhole National Park. In our classroom sessions and on-the-field guidance, we discuss wildlife photography and natural concepts and observations from the fundamental principles. As in all our tours, the group size would be limited so that the Darter Photography Expert can interact closely with every participant.
Wildlife enthusiasts who are not photographers, but are keen to see and experience the forests of Nagarhole National Park, are also welcome to join this group. This trip will keep you enthralled from start to finish.
Our tour is designed in such a way that we
- work closely with every participant on both wildlife photography and natural history aspects,
- help photographers understand the nuances of wildlife photography and capture the moment,
- help beginners understand the basics of photography and get beautiful images,
- facilitate expert photographers to photograph the different facets of the rainforest, assisting them further when necessary, and
- allow wildlife enthusiasts and birdwatchers to explore the biodiversity of the forest.
The price of the Jungle Tales Photography Tour of Kabini is Rs.28,950 per person (for Indian Nationals). The tour starts and ends at Kabini River Lodge.
For foreign nationals, the price of the tour is Rs.35,150 (difference due to additional charges by Jungle Lodges & Resorts).
The price includes:
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in luxury tents at Kabini River Lodge (run by Jungle Lodges & Resorts)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner (starting with lunch on Day 1 and ending with breakfast on Day 3)
- 4 Safaris (land and boat) into Nagarhole National Park and Kabini Reservoir, starting with the afternoon safari on Day 1 and ending with morning safari on Day 3.
- Forest entry fees
- Photography sessions, on-field assistance and image reviews
- All applicable taxes
The price does not include:
- Transport from your location to Kabini River Lodge and back (we can assist with car-pooling or booking a taxi for participants on request)
- Camera fees, as applicable on the safari dates
- Video camera fees – If you are carrying a video camera, the forest department charges Rs.1000 per safari. This amount can be paid directly to Jungle Lodges on the tour dates.
- Additional safaris into the park
- Additional beverages, snacks and mineral water ordered at the resort
- Medical costs
- Tips and other expenses not mentioned in the includes list above
Please note that the above is subject to favorable weather and other conditions. In case of any obstacles, we will do our best to make alternate plans. The cost of the tour or any part of it will not be refunded in the event of unfavourable conditions during the tour days.
Cancellation policy for the Jungle Tales tour of Kabini is as follows:
– 20% of full tour fee is charged as cancellation fee for cancellation on or before January 15, 2018
– 50% of full tour fee is charged as cancellation fee for cancellation between January 16 and January 25, 2018
– 75% of full tour fee is is charged as cancellation fee for cancellation between January 26 and February 04, 2018
– No refunds for cancellation on or after February 05, 2018 or for no-show
Join this Tour
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 7022166822 (Sreedevi) / 9740083260 (Shreeram M V) to join the tour or if you have any further queries.
Day 1 (Friday). Reach the Kabini River Lodge at Karapura (run by Jungle Lodges and Resorts) by noon. We check into our tents, relax for a bit and gather for lunch. After lunch, we have a welcome session where we go through a round of introductions (in case we haven’t done that already) followed by an orientation on the tour and wildlife at Kabini by the Darter Photography Expert.
It is then time for the first safari of the tour. We get into the vehicle allotted to us and head out into the jungle for the evening safari. The cool breeze and the greenery of the forest keeps us company as we experience and photograph the myriad forms of life in the forest – the mighty elephants, the huge herds of Chital, the colourful birds…may be even a big cat.
After the safari, we gather for a session on Fundamental Techniques of Wildlife Photography followed by reviews of all the photographs clicked on the evening drive. After dinner, we retire for the day.
Day 2 (Saturday). At dawn, we wake up, have a cup of tea and head out for our second foray into the jungle. Every safari in the forest is a delightful experience and, on a sunny day, the soft morning light might give us some wonderful photography opportunities.
After breakfast, we head out for a nature trail around the resort. We encounter many species of wildlife in the undergrowth – butterflies, dragonflies, spiders, ants and a few birds.
After lunch, the Darter Photography Expert will review the photographs taken during the morning safari. We’ll have a session on different kinds of Light in Wildlife Photography.
It’s time again for the third safari. This time with a difference. We head out on the boat safari along the Kabini Reservoir. Be prepared to fill up your memory cards as we encounter flocks of Cormorants, Egrets, Darters and Painted Storks, raptors like the Grey-headed Fish Eagle, Osprey and Peregrine Falcon, Otters if we are lucky and, who knows, a big cat out for a sip or a hunt! The setting sun plays out an elaborate drama over the reservoir and we’ll try to photograph different perspectives of the forest at sunset.
After the safari, we have a discussion about the observations of the past two days in the forest and photography learning/experiences of all the participants. We’ll head out on a night walking trail around the resort before dinner.
Day 3 (Sunday). The last morning of the tour is here. We head out into the forest for our last safari to photograph the magnificence of the forest. After breakfast, its time to bid goodbye to the amazing forest, with many memories and (hopefully) full memory cards.
In addition to the above, the accompanying Darter Photography Expert would help you with:
- On-field assistance during the safaris from a photography as well as a naturalist’s perspective
- Sessions on photography that would help you get good photographs during the tour
- Photography review sessions to give you feedback on your photographs
Please note that the itinerary above is subject to fair weather and other factors. Darter Photography reserves the right to make changes to the above itinerary at any point of time. Also, please note that photographing the wildlife mentioned above and pictured in the slideshow is indicative and dependent on various external factors, including weather and the wildlife being spotted during our safaris.
Your Photography Expert
Shreeram M V is a professional outdoor photographer, specializing in wildlife and travel photography. He is the co-founder of Darter Photography that specializes in providing photography services such as workshops and outdoor photography tours. He lives in Bangalore, India.
What started off as a fascination for birds in a lake behind his house turned into a journey to different parts of India. For this IIM Bangalore graduate, the passion for wildlife and travel enabled him to charter his own course outside the corporate world. He has explored places as diverse as the rainforests of the Western Ghats, the salt marshes of Kutch, the grasslands of Tal Chapar, the deciduous forests of South and Central India, the high-altitude plateau of Ladakh, the coasts of peninsular India, the forests of North-east India and the islands of Andaman.
An avid birdwatcher, Shreeram has seen more than 600 birds across India. He hopes to see and photograph all the birds that are found in India. He was one of the judges in the HSBC Bangalore Bird Race in 2013. Shreeram also specializes in macro photography of spiders, reptiles, amphibians and insects.
He has served on the evaluation panel for Karnataka Eco-Tourism Development Board’s Naturalist Certification Program, where naturalists from Jungle Lodges & Resorts and other resorts across Karnataka were evaluated and certified in the first-ever program of its kind in the country. He has also spent over a month at Kabini River Lodge in the summer of 2014 evaluating their naturalists and formulating training requirements to help them interpret the forest better.
See some of his work at Visual Quotient
You can register by making a payment using the gateway below. For alternate payment options or for more information, please fill in the form below. You may also email us at email@example.com or call Sreedevi (+91-7022166822) / Shreeram (+91-9740083260).
Alternately, fill in the following form to get in touch with us regarding the tour.