Towering Sal forests. Expansive grasslands. Beautiful wetlands. Charismatic megafauna, including tigers, leopards, rhinos, barasinghas and elephants. Elusive mammals like Fishing Cat and Leopard Cat. Rare birds like Bengal Florican, Great Slaty Woodpecker and Swamp Francolin. Welcome to the enchanting world of the Terai!
This April, Darter Photography presents a brand new wildlife photography experience to the forests of Dudhwa Tiger Reserve. Experience the charming forests, come face to face with rare wildlife and learn the secrets of wildlife photography. And enjoy the luxurious environs of the Tree of Life Jaagir Lodge, our partners in this adventure.
Jump to ◆ About Dudhwa ◆ Itinerary ◆ Tour Highlights ◆ Is this tour for you? ◆ Tour Price ◆ Tour Mentor ◆ Sign Up
Darter Photography presents Tigers of the Terai – Wildlife Photography Tour of Dudhwa in association with the Tree of Life Jaagir Lodge
April 05-09, 2017
Max. Participants – 10
North of the Indo-gangetic plains, near the foothills of the Himalayan ranges, lies the Terai region. A range of habitats – grasslands, scrublands, Sal forests and swampy wetlands – make up this unique region that stretches eastward from the Yamuna through 5 Indian states and Nepal.
Dudhwa Tiger Reserve, in Uttar Pradesh, is a prime example of the natural beauty and bounty of this region. Located in Lakhimpur Kheri district of Uttar Pradesh (bordering Nepal), 3 different wildlife parks – Dudhwa National Park, Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary and Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary – form the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve. It covers an area of almost 1285 sq. km.
Due to the varied habitats, a wide diversity of animals is found in this park. Charismatic megafauna like Tigers, Leopards, Barasinghas, Elephants and Indian Rhinocerous share the park with rare mammals like Fishing Cat, Hispid Hare and Leopard Cat. Over 400 species of birds have also been recorded here, including endangered species like the Bengal Florican, Great Slaty Woodpecker and Swamp Francolin.
Dudhwa is around 230km from Lucknow. It takes around 4.5 hours to reach Dudhwa by car. The roads are narrow in some stretches but mostly smooth.
Dates & Itinerary
Tour Dates: April 05-09, 2017
Day 01 – 5-April (Wednesday) Arrive in Lucknow and drive to The Tree of Life Jaagir Lodge near Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (drive time is around 4 hours). Evening tea followed by introductions and a session on photographing wildlife at Dudhwa. Relaxed dinner and retire for the day.
Day 02 – 6-April (Thursday) Early morning drive to Dudhwa Tiger Reserve. Elephant safari to photograph Indian Rhinocerous. Evening safari at Dudhwa Tiger Reserve.
Day 03 – 7-April (Friday) Morning Safari at Dudhwa Tiger Reserve. Evening safari at Kishanpur National Park.
Day 04 – 8-April (Saturday) Morning Safari at Dudhwa Tiger Reserve. Evening safari at Kishanpur National Park.
Day 05 – 9-April (Sunday) A relaxed morning around the camp before heading back to Lucknow and further on, the mind full of memories and the memory card full of photographs.
- Journey to a tiger reserve that is teeming with amazing biodiversity, including Bengal Tigers, Leopards, Indian Rhinocerous, Swamp Deer, Indian Elephants, Fishing Cat, Bengal Florican, Swamp Francolin, Great Slaty Woodpecker and many more rare fauna
- Safaris through some of the most breathtaking forests in India, with towering Sal trees, expansive grasslands and enchanting wetlands
- Sessions and discussions on wildlife photography and wildlife in the Terai
- Constant interaction and assistance on field by photography expert in wildlife photography
- Get your photographs reviewed by your photography mentor regularly through the tour
- Experience luxury at the Tree of Life Jaagir Lodge, an erstwhile hunting lodge set amidst mustard and sugarcane fields
Is this Tour for you?
This tour is designed for photographers of all levels of expertise – amateur and expert – who would like to photograph the beautiful forests and the rich biodiversity of Dudhwa Tiger Reserve. In our classroom sessions and on-the-field guidance, we discuss wildlife photography and natural concepts and observations from the fundamental principles. As in all our tours, the group size would be limited so that the Darter Photography Expert can interact closely with every participant.
Wildlife enthusiasts who are not photographers, but are keen to see and experience the forests of Dudhwa Tiger Reserve, are also welcome to join this group. This trip will keep you enthralled from start to finish.
Our tour is designed in such a way that we
- work closely with every participant on both wildlife photography and natural history aspects,
- help photographers understand the nuances of wildlife photography and capture the moment,
- help beginners understand the basics of photography and get beautiful images,
- facilitate expert photographers to photograph the different facets of the forest, assisting them further when necessary, and
- allow wildlife enthusiasts and birdwatchers to explore the biodiversity of the forest.
Also refer to our tours faq for more information.
Introductory Tour Price: Rs. 45,880/- per person (inclusive of all applicable taxes).
Booking for this tour is through Tree of Life Resorts. You could make the tour fees payment here – Registration Link – or write to us at email@example.com for alternate payment details.
The tour price includes
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis at The Tree of Life Jaagir Lodge for 4 nights/5 days
- 6 safaris into Dudhwa Tiger Reserve and Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary
- All meals during the tour starting with Evening Tea on Day 1 and ending with Breakfast on Day 5
- Forest entry fees
- Photography sessions, expert advice and assistance and image reviews during the tour
- All applicable taxes
The tour price does not include
- Travel to Dudhwa Tiger Reserve and back from your location. We’ll facilitate car/cab-pooling from Lucknow to Dudhwa.
- Additional camera/video camera fees levied by the forest department
- Additional safaris into the park
- Additional snacks, bottled water or other beverages ordered
- Medical costs
- Gratuities and anything else that is not part of the includes list above
Wildlife Photography Mentor – Shreeram M V
Shreeram is a wildlife photographer, photography mentor and naturalist. His passion for exploring the diverse landscapes of India has taken him to multiple habitats – rainforests, high-altitude deserts, grasslands, rocky scrub, coasts, islands, deciduous forests. His approach to wildlife photography has evolved into telling stories about the place and its habitats, biodiversity and human interactions with nature.
He is a well-published and awarded photographer. His articles and photographs have been published in diverse print and digital magazines such as National Geographic Traveller, Sanctuary Asia, Saevus, Lonely Planet India, Terrascape and JLR Explore. He was part of the team that won the Yes Bank – Saevus Trailblazers Award in 2014 for their story on Lion-tailed Macaques of Valparai. He is currently working on a Coffee Table Book with TVS Motor Company Ltd.
He mentors amateur photographers through his organization, Darter Photography (www.darter.in), where he focuses on traveling to less explored places and habitats. He believes photography is a great bridge for people to re-connect with nature and encourages his participants to put their photography to good use in raising awareness about nature.
See some of his work at Visual Quotient