Hiding in remote corners of the Western Ghats are several photogenic waterfalls – some massive in scale and some smaller but photogenic. They may not be the most well-known, but are all located in settings that are very dramatic – sometimes falling into a deep valley covered in greenery, sometimes in the middle of dense forest or entering into a narrow rocky gorge. Join Darter Photography on a tour to see and photograph these less-known waterfalls of the Western Ghats in northern parts of Karnataka, mentored and led by our landscape photographer.
Jump to ◆ Overview ◆ Getting There ◆ Is this tour for you? ◆ Tour Price ◆ Tour Mentor ◆ Sign Up
Tour cost: Rs.9,675/-
Group size: 10 only
Overview – Waterfalls of the Western Ghats
Three months of lashing rains in the monsoon months infuse a new life to the landscape across the Western Ghats. The already-green landscape becomes even more lush. Streams come alive and empty into rivers, which in turn flow with a new vigour. Several of these rivers plunge into valleys hundreds of feet deep, often in picturesque locations, forming waterfalls that add to the magic of the wilderness.
This photography tour takes you through several such waterfalls, with a few detours to savour and capture the landscapes along the way. During this tour led by our landscapes photographer, you will learn the technicalities of making waterfall images and learn many interesting composition techniques. You mentor will help you on field in making beautiful images and imparting practical knowledge.
We are taking you to these places at a perfect time, when the deluge of monsoons would have ended, but there is still a lot of vigour in the falls. The muddy-brown flow of the monsoon months would have now turned clear, and the streams would have changed from being torrents to a photogenic perfection.
For this tour, we will be based in Yellapur, about 7 hours from Bangalore and an equal distance from Pune. Participants will arrive in Yellapur on Saturday morning, and will be dropped off at Sirsi on Sunday evening. See ‘Getting There’ section for more details. We visit the following places during the tour.
- Magod Falls.
- Sunset at Jenukallu Gudda.
- Satoddi Falls and landscapes along the way.
- Unchalli Falls and landscapes along the way.
This tour uses Yellapur town in North Karnataka as the base for visiting the waterfalls. Participants arrive in Yellapur on Saturday morning, and will be dropped off at Sirsi on Sunday evening. Below are the suggested travel options.
It is recommended that you take an overnight bus from Bangalore to Yellapur on 30th September evening, and depart by bus from Sirsi to Bangalore on October 2nd evening. We expect most participants to pick this option.
For travellers from Bangalore, we can handle your bus ticket booking on request. Please email us or call us (contact details at the end of this page) to request for bus tickets.
Driving from Bangalore is an option as well.
From Pune and Mumbai
It is recommended that you take an overnight bus from Pune/Mumbai to Yellapur on 30th September evening, and depart by bus from Sirsi to Pune/Mumbai on 2nd October evening. Direct bus services are available.
If you prefer to take a train, nearest train stations are at Karwar/Ankola (better connected from Mumbai) or Hubli (from Pune). We can organize a pick up from these places on request.
From Hyderabad, Chennai and other cities
Hubli is the nearest well-connected city, which has many train/bus connectivity with many major locations in South India and beyond. We can organize a vehicle from Hubli to pick you up on request.
Is This Tour For You? Frequently Asked Questions.
This tour is for you if:
- You are excited see and/or to photograph these less-known waterfalls, AND/OR
- You want to learn about the techniques and composition concepts of photographing waterfalls
- You have a keen interest in visiting these places and enjoy the experience
Our tour is designed in such a way that
- Our mentor works closely with every individual participant
- help beginners understand the basic nuances of photography before going further on the specific techniques and get beautiful images
- facilitate seasoned photographers to be at the right locations and assisting them further when necessary
- they are rich in the experience, not just on photography
Recommended Photography Equipment List
While we welcome travellers with any kind of camera/lenses, here is a list of equipment that help you make the best of this tour. Do check with us if you have any questions on the equipment.
- Camera: It is strongly recommended that you carry a camera where you can set the aperture, shutter speed any ISO values. A DSLR, mirrorless camera or a bridge camera should take care of this.
- Lenses: If you have a camera with interchangeable lenses, it is recommended to carry lenses with focal lengths ranging from 20 to 200. But a basic wide angle lens (such as an 18-55mm) is also sufficient if you don’t have lenses in the entire focal length range.
- Tripod: It is highly recommended that you carry a tripod to make the best of opportunities for photographing the waterfalls.
- Filters: It is helpful to carry an 8-stop to 10-stop ND filter to make arresting images of waterfalls.
- If time permits, we may be able to make a short attempt in learning to create timelapse videos during the tour. An intervelometer can help make the creation process convenient and automated.
Visit our Tour FAQs page for more details about our tours.
The price of the tour is Rs.9,675/- per person.
The tour price includes
The tour price does not include
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis.
- Transport to the locations we visit.
- A group pick-up will be available from Yellapur bus stop on Saturday morning. Participants will be dropped off to Sirsi bus-stop on Sunday evening.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on Day 1, Breakfast and lunch on Day 2.
- Photography sessions and services of your mentor all through the tour.
- Transport from your location to Yellpaur; transport from Sirsi to your location. Please let us know if you would like us to facilitate your travel bookings. See ‘getting there’ section for more details.
- Additional food and beverages, water bottles
- Dinner on Day 2
- Laundry, telephone and internet access
- Tips and anything else that is not part of the includes list above
Please note –
1. Although we begin the tour programs early on Saturday, we are bound to check-in time at our accommodation to access the rooms. Early check-ins are possible subject to availability.
2. The itinerary and places we cover are tentative and can be modified by the lead photographer depending on weather and any other factors that affect photography opportunities.
3. You will be accommodated on twin sharing basis. Single travellers will share a room with another participant of same gender. Single occupancy can be requested at an additional cost.
Your Photography Expert
Landscape photography for Pratap is an extension of his love for the outdoors. From when he picked up the camera, he has always preferred composing using a wide-angle lens. The word ‘landscape’ according to him is misleading because his compositions include water and sky as well.
Landscape photography in India is challenging given the density of population. However, this is a land of varied geographical features and rich cultural heritage. The opportunities are unique and endless for the determined photographer. Pratap’s life mission is to capture the beauty of Indian vistas before they disappear.
You can see his work online at pixelshooter.net.
Please fill in the form at the bottom of the page to register, or for any queries. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Sreedevi (+91-7022166822).