Dates – Jul 28-30 2017
Price – ₹17,750/- per person
Max participants: 8 only
Join us on this intense travel photography masterclass and workshop that equips you with in-depth understanding of travel photography and its components – photographing people, heritage and culture. Learn how to make your photo-journeys enriching, and understand what it takes to consistently make brilliant travel images!
Badami is known for its rock cut temples and a history dating back more than thousand years. Outdoor & Travel photographers see much more than just that; this small town offers a wide variety of photography opportunities. Perhaps there is no better place to conduct a travel photography masterclass than Badami!
Jump to section: Overview ◆ Testimonials ◆ Workshop Content ◆ Brief Itinerary ◆ How to Reach Badami
◆ Is This Tour For You? ◆ Workshop Price ◆ Workshop Mentor ◆ Join This Workshop
Important Note: On 17th July 2017, Archaeological Survey of India issued a notification to limit use of certain kind of cameras at sites governed by them. While we are still unaware how this notification is implemented, there is a possibility that we may be limited to photographing these places with mobile-phone cameras in some of the places we are visiting during the tour. We will try our best to ensure the best photography experience all along, within the permitted means. Do get in touch with us if you have any questions.
Workshop content was fantastic. The presentation and the way it gave room for practical application was just what most participants needed. – Suma, Bangalore.
[Darter Photography Mentor] is very approachable. Guides and yet lets you develop your own style. I especially appreciate his guidance and sharing his own personal experiences with taking pictures of people. – Rohini, Bangalore.
Nicely arranged workshop. Everything went on very smooth with no hiccup of any kind. Instructions and review were very good and useful. – Sharatchandra, Bangalore.
Badami turned out to be a Treasure Trove and am glad that i was part of this workshop. – Vandana, Sri Lanka.
This three day workshop will help you understand outdoor & travel photography and take you through the intricacies of making beautiful images of various genres that a travelling photographer will encounter. This photography workshop comprises indoor sessions, several outdoor photography shoots, and regular image reviews that help improve your photography skills. We encounter a wide variety of photography opportunities during our three days in Badami. Here is a glimpse of them.
- Architecture and dramatic landscapes. The famed rock cut temples and the bass reliefs inside them are just the beginning. There are little known shrines all around, temples on a lake bed, temples in leafy surroundings and a wide variety of architecture that are a specialty of this region.
- Everyday Life in rural setting. Women yapping in the courtyard as they clean the grains, happy smiling people willing to wait for your click, women washing clothes in the lake, children on their way to school, tractors and bullcock carts, men gathered under ficus trees and much more are the scenes of everyday life in the living quarters of Badami. The congenial people of Badami are often more than happy to oblige to your camera.
The workshop is a balanced mix of indoor sessions/reviews and practical exposure on field. The workshop helps you understand the diverse scope of outdoor & travel photography and make the best use of photography opportunities offered by a location. The workshop content includes
- learning the nuances of outdoor & travel photography – in theory and practice
- on field learning on making a wide variety of outdoor & travel images – landscapes, people and heritage sites
- continuous on & off field guidance during the workshop and image reviews to help evaluate and understand your images.
Badami is known for its rock cut temples and a history dating back more than thousand years. Outdoor & travel photographers see much more than just that; this small town offers a wide variety of photography opportunities. There are red sand stones glistening in the morning sun, colonies of friendly people with photogenic face who are more than happy to be subjects for your camera, a rural life where you see women washing clothes in a lake next to men scrubbing a bullock’s hide, temples in leafy environs with roots of ficus trees drooping over the gopuras, brilliant landscapes of cliffs overlooking a lake,.. The list is very long.
Darter Photography takes you to this Badami and nearby places that are a mix of well-known as well as unknown, bringing you great photography opportunities that can keep your clicking finger busy. Learn to make appealing travel images on this workshop as you discover the corners of Badami.
This workshop will cover the following topics in theory and outdoor practice.
- Quick coverage of important camera controls and concepts necessary for this workshop
- Composition and lighting techniques
- Outdoor & Travel Photography
- techniques to improve the quality of your outdoor & travel photography
- making images that are unique and stand out
- identifying what catches a viewer’s attention; identifying subjects, environment and stories
- effectively portraying a location and its characters with your camera
- research and homework in outdoor & travel photography
- observation skills
- A primer to photographing Badami
- Telling a story with your photography
- introduction to the idea of telling stories with your camera
- defining and understanding the scope of a story
- making the story interesting
- Outdoor & Travel photography as an art
- Making images with compositions that speak your heart and mind
- creating images that have an impact on the viewer
- Field sessions in and around Badami
- Intensive image reviews
Itinerary in brief
This workshop is a mix indoor sessions on travel photography and practice sessions in beautiful locations in and around Badami. We will be out with our cameras in the morning and evening hours to take advantage of the good light, while the indoor sessions will be conducted during mid-day and after sun-down. Your mentor will review the images made by you and offer feedback at the end of the day.
The places we visit in this workshop include
Badami is 500km from Bangalore. Overnight buses and a train are available. Visit www.redbus.in to see bus schedule or www.irctc.co.in to see the train availability.
From Mumbai and Pune
Badami is 600km from Mumbai and about 460km from Pune. To reach Badami from either of these cities, you can –
- take an overnight bus to Hubli (100km, 1.5 hours from Badami) and then take a cab or a bus to Badami
- take an overnight bus to Gadag (70km, 1.5 hours from Badami) and then take a cab or bus to Badami
Visit www.redbus.in see bus schedule.
Badami is 400km from Hyderabad. To reach Badami, take an overnight bus either to Gadag or Bagalkot and then take a cab or bus to Badami. Visit www.redbus.in for bus schedule.
Is this Workshop Suited for You?
The travel photography workshop at Badami is for anyone who is keen to make beautiful works in travel photography that effectively tell a story. The workshop doesn’t impose any prerequisite in terms of equipment or photography skills of the participants. Join us if the learning to make beautiful travel images appeals to you.
Our photographers interact closely with every participants and work with you no matter what is your expertise level in photography. Travellers keen to see and experience the places in Badami are also welcome to join this group.
Visit our tour faq to know more details about how our photography tours are conducted.
The cost of this workshop is Rs.17,750 per person.
The cost includes
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on all days
- Local transports
- Photography sessions, on-field assistance and image reviews
The cost does not include
- Transport from your location to Badami and back
- Addition beverages, snacks and mineral water
- Tips and other expenses not mentioned in the inclusion mentioned above
– Cancellation at least 15 days before the date of tour commencement: 75% of the tour fee is refunded
– 15 to 7 days before date of tour commencement: 60% of the tour fee is refunded
– 7 to 2 days before date of commencement: 25% of the tour fee is refunded
– No refunds for cancellation made less than a day before tour begins.
Note: This is a workshop conducted for three full days. However, please note that the hotel check-in and check-out time are at 12pm, and early check-in late check-outs are offered subjects to availability.
Your Photography Experts
Accomplished, multiple award winning travel and landscape photographer Arun Bhat’s works have been used by publications in India and across the world. He is a professional photographer who has extensively travelled across India, creating some of the finest imagery of India’s landscapes and heritage sites.
Arun is the winner of prestigious HIPA awards Dubai, having secured the top position in the primary category of the award in 2014-15 edition. He is also awarded with the first ever Tamron India photography challenge (2012) and GCCA best travel & wildlife photographer award (2012). His work was among featured images in ‘World in Focus’ travel photography awards.
He has conducted travel photography workshops, tours and talks in several locations in India and elsewhere. For over five years, he has lead photography tours and workshops in Dubai, Himalayas, Rajasthan, North-East India, Varanasi, Myanmar and Cambodia. People attending Arun’s workshops have regularly praised him for his ability to coherently convey an idea, be available to be of assistance all the time and a commitment to the progress of every participants.
Over multiple visits to Badami and surrounding areas, Arun has extensively explored and photographed the architecture, landscapes and the people of Badami. His works on Badami and surroundings have been published in newspapers and travel magazines in the past, including the Harmony magazine and Deccan Herald.
Besides being a travel photographer, Arun has also donned the role of a published and well-recognized travel writer. This means his expertise comes not only making the right images, but also in making essential preliminary research and exploration that helps in being at the right place at the right time.
See more of his work on www.paintedstork.com
To register and make payments, or if you have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 7022166822 (Sreedevi). Alternately, fill in the following form.